A dual-seat variant of the JF-17 Thunder fighter jet co-developed by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) and China took its maiden test flight in Chengdu on Friday, the PAF said in a press release.
The JF-17B "is currently entering the testing phase", the PAF said, terming the development of the dual-seater "a major milestone towards self-reliance".
Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman was chief guest at the test event today hosted by the Aviation Industry Corporation of China Executive Vice President Li Yuhai.
The JF-17B is slated to boost the operational and training capabilities of the PAF, the press release said. "It will further enhance the advanced combat training of PAF fighter pilots on this indigenous war fighting machine."
Production of the first JF-17B was initiated by Pakistan and China during a joint ceremony at Chengdu Aerospace Corporation last year.
The JF-17 Thunder, a single-engine multi-role fighter jet, and was jointly developed by China and Pakistan. Development on the aircraft started in 1999, and the maiden flight was conducted in 2003.
The initial Block 1 JF-17s were received in 2007, with production of the upgraded Block 2 JF-17s started in 2013. The upgraded models have upgraded avionics, air-to-air refuelling capability, data link, enhanced electronic warfare capability and enhanced load carrying ability.
The JF-17 can be equipped with air-to-air and air-to-ground ordinance. The aircraft mounts both short-range infra-red air to air missiles along with longer ranged radar-guided BVR missiles, an essential capability for a frontline interceptor.
The aircraft can carry 8,000lbs of ordinance on seven external hardpoints, which is an adequate amount of ordinance for any mission profile. The JF-17 enhances the much needed capability of the air force in beyond visual range (BVR) engagements.
The JF-17 is a capable platform, and is on its way to form the backbone of the PAF. It was reported that between 250 and 300 aircraft will be inducted into the air force in order to phase out the ageing fleet of some other aircraft models that are still in operation.
For the Pakistan Air Force, the JF-17 fills the gap that had arisen due to an ageing inventory, which was further impacted by sanctions placed on the country following the nuclear tests in 1998.
LAHORE: The Sargodha child pornography case, unprecedented in the country, suffered a blow when none of the children allegedly exploited or their parents approached by the Federal Investigation Agency were willing to record statement against the prime suspect.
“I did work with Manto uncle (suspect Saadat Amin’s nickname) but it is not me in the nude photos and videos you are talking about,” an FIA officer in Lahore quotes a boy as telling the agency.
“Please do not contact me again…Leave me out of this... it is too shameful a thing to talk about and I have nothing to do with it,” the officer cited the boy, aged 14 according to him, as having said.
Next, father of another child simply denied that he knew the 45-year-old Amin. “I don’t know who this man was and what business he did,” the man is said to have told the investigators. When told that his son’s ‘objectionable’ pictures were found in possession of Amin, he responded: “Those pictures are fake. Why do you want to create problems for us? Do you want us to flee our native town in shame? “
The Punjab Rangers on Thursday warned that the display of weapons and the employment of security guards for personal safety are illegal under the National Action Plan (NAP).
"It follows that only security personnel of registered government institutions will be deployed," Punjab Rangers Col Amjad Iqbal said during a press briefing.
He added that Pakistan Rangers Punjab will work with the Punjab police to conduct operations and take strict action against those who violate the law in this manner.
Col Amjad also stated that strict action will be taken against private security personnel found to be in illegal possession of or using uniforms designated for the army, civil or military institutions.
During the briefing, the colonel also provided details regarding operations carried out by the Punjab Rangers.
He said that four terrorists affiliated with the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan were killed during a recent operation and a large cache of weapons were recovered from them.
Havaldar Khalid, an officer of the Punjab Rangers, was injured in the operation when militants opened fire, Col Amjad said.
"Four suicide jackets, one rocket launcher, six rockets, six detectors, four charged boosters and 18 other weapons were recovered from the terrorists," he said.
Operations were also conducted in Sheikupura, Sambrial and Kharian, Col Amjad said.
"During these operations, six suspected militants were taken into custody," he said, adding that a large number of weapons was also seized from them.
"Pakistan Rangers Punjab is engaged in carrying out operations in all suspicious areas with other institutions," the colonel added.
The Foreign Office said on Thursday that the role of foreign intelligence agencies cannot be ruled out in the disappearance of retired Lt Col Habib Zahir, a former Pakistan Army officer who mysteriously went missing in Nepal earlier this month.
Addressing a weekly press briefing in Islamabad, FO spokesman Nafees Zakaria said Zahir had been trapped in Nepal "after being lured into a job offer".
He said Pakistani authorities are in touch with the Nepali government to trace the missing ex-army man and Nepal is cooperating in this regard.
Zakaria, however, warned against linking Zahir's disappearance with the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav, the Indian spy sentenced to death by a Pakistani tribunal earlier this week on charges of espionage and sabotage earlier this month.
"It is unreasonable on India's part to link the Jadhav case with Habib Zahir," he said, reminding that Zahir had retired from the army a long time before Jadhav's arrest.
Zakaria seemed to be responding to a startling allegation published by an Indian news outlet quoting unnamed Indian security sources, who claimed that Zahir was part of the team that had picked up convicted spy Kulbhushan Jadhav.
“Zahir was at the Indo-Nepal border last week. He was in the team that had trailed Jadhav. There is definitely a connection between the two cases,” The Indian Express quoted an Indian officer as saying on Wednesday.
Col Zahir, who retired from the army in 2014, went missing on April 6 from Lumbini, a Buddhist pilgrimage site close to the Indian border, where he arrived after somebody by the name of Mark Thompson had contacted him via email and telephone for a job interview in Nepal.
It was reported that a probe by the officer’s family and friends showed that the UK telephone number from which he had received the call for the interview was computer generated, while the email domain and its associated website were registered in India. This prompted concerns that the Indian spy agency RAW could have been behind the kidnapping.
He said clear evidence exists of Indian involvement in Pakistan's internal affairs and India's attempts to spread terrorism in a sovereign country.
"India has been caught red-handed interfering in Pakistan," Zakaria said.
He claimed that India has been involved in interfering in Pakistani affairs in the past as well.
"Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Bangladesh [also] confessed to India's involvement in [then] East Pakistan in 1971," he said.
KARACHI: Somali pirates have hijacked a Pakistani boat, US media reported on Tuesday.
It said the hijacking came hours after the pirates hijacked an Indian vessel along the coast of Somalia near a village named El Hur.
Abdillahi Ahmed Ali, mayor of Somali town Hobyo, confirmed the incident while talking to Voice of America, but expressed unawareness about the number of crew members on the Pakistani vessel called Salama 1.
Earlier the pirates hijacked the Indian vessel MSV Al Kausar.
“Al Kausar having 11 crew members is now anchored off the nearby village of El Hur. The Salama 1 was reportedly headed to the same area with an unknown number of crew,” Mr Ali said.
Published in Dawn, April 5th, 2017
ISLAMABAD: The residents of Islamabad and Rawalpindi were inconvenienced by the unannounced blackout of mobile phone services in the name of security and Parade Day rehearsals on Sunday.
While internet services were not shut, phone calls could not be made as mobile signals remained down from 6am till noon.
The Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) did not share details about the suspension of services.
A PTA official requesting anonymity explained that it was the same exercise as last year and the year before that.
“Security agencies do not announce suspension of services to maintain security. Announcing it defeats the purpose of securing the parade ground where personnel of joint armed forces rehearse for the military parade on March 23,” he said.
According to the official, security concerns were higher this year given the series of attacks across the country last month.
“Phone services are expected to be suspended again during the final rehearsals and certainly on March 23,” he said.
While residents said they were expecting it, they were nonetheless thankful that phone services were not suspended every day two weeks prior to the Parade Day celebrations like it used to be a few years ago.
Hafeezuddin, however, was annoyed. “Road blockades and jammed phones are nuisances and we do not want it even if it’s once a year. People cannot make calls if there are health emergencies or children have exams. Such events should be held outside cities where people are not inconvenienced,” said the retired government servant. Imran Khalid, a businessman, said: “Traffic diversions were already a problem and no phone signals made the matters worse.”
It was not just PTA that declined to share information even cellular mobile operators were not as forthcoming.
According to an official of Mobilink, as always the notice to suspend services originated from the PTA on the last minute and its details were confidential.
An official of Ufone said he was not aware of what he called a ‘blanket’ outage across Islamabad with the spillover effects in Rawalpindi.
“The government can direct operators to suspend both mobile signals as well as 3G and 4G services for security reasons up to March 23,” he said.
Published in Dawn, March 20th, 2017
Weeks after former president Pervez Musharraf launched his career on mainstream media, the Bol Network announced that former president Asif Ali Zardari will also be appearing on a weekly show as a political analyst.
According to a promotional video shared by Bol Network on twitter, the new show is called Pakistan Khappay with President Asif Ali Zardari and will be aired every Sunday at 9:30pm.
In the first episode of the show that was aired on March 19, Zardari appeared live from Bilawal House in Karachi, responding to questions posed by the anchor.
The former president spoke of the challenges Pakistan is facing in the international arena and regretted that the government had failed to appoint a foreign minister.
"If the government does not have a foreign minister, then, I believe, there is no concern for Pakistan's position on the the global stage and the numerous challenges the country is facing," Zardari said.
During the episode the former president also spoke about Pak-US relations and said that "if someone takes the responsibility to hold dialogue with [America]," the relations can be improved.
When questioned about the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, Zardari said that Prime Minister Nawaz Shairf has not been able to understand the project, adding that "it is not a project of building roads".
Earlier, during the first episode of his show with Bol TV, 'Sab Se Pehle Pakistan with President Musharraf,' which was aired on Feb 26, Musharraf had responded to the anchor's questions from Dubai — where he is currently living in self-exile.
Musharraf's show airs on Sundays at 8pm.