International News

MUNICH: Gunmen went on a shooting rampage in a shopping mall in the southern German city of Munich yesterday, killing and wounding many people, police said. Authorities were evacuating people from the Olympia mall but many others were hiding inside. The Bavarian Interior Ministry said three people were dead, NTV television reported. A Munich police spokeswoman said multiple people were killed or wounded. “We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage,” the spokeswoman said.

More than one gunman was believed to be involved and no one had been arrested, she said. “We believe there was more than one perpetrator. The first reports came at 6 pm, the shooting apparently began at a McDonald’s in the shopping center. There are still people in the shopping center. We are trying to get the people out and take care of them.” Police special forces had arrived at the scene, NTV said. It was not immediately clear who carried out the attack, which took place a week after an axe-wielding teenager went on a rampage on a German train. Islamic State claimed responsibility for that attack.

The Bild newspaper reported that a gunman ran through the mall near the Munich Olympic stadium, firing on several people before fleeing in the direction of a nearby metro station. Staff in the mall were still in hiding, an employee told Reuters by telephone. “Many shots were fired, I can’t say how many but it’s been a lot,” the employee, who declined to be identified, said from the mall in Munich. “All the people from outside came streaming into the store and I only saw one person on the ground who was so severely injured that he definitely didn’t survive. We have no further information, we’re just staying in the back in the storage rooms. No police have approached us yet.” Munich transport authorities said they had halted several bus, train and tram lines. – Agencies

DHAKA: Bangladesh on Friday moved to regulate weekly sermons in hundreds of thousands of mosques as part of a stepped-up campaign to combat extremism, officials said.

The move comes after the deadly attack in an upscale Dhaka cafe in which 20 hostages were brutally shot and hacked to death in the nation's worst attack by suspected militants.

Since then, authorities have shut down Zakir Naik's Peace TV, and decided to monitor the social media and Friday sermons of local mosques in a bid to prevent radicalisation.

As part of the drive, the state-run Islamic Foundation, which works as a watchdog for mosques and religious establishments, has prepared a sermon for the main national mosque which it has asked other mosques to follow.

The sermon, which was published by the agency ahead of Friday's prayers, invokes holy verses and traditions of the Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) to rail against murderous extremism.

"Whoever kills a person unjustly, it is as though he has killed all mankind," it said, citing a verse of the Holy Quran.

It also quoted the Prophet (PBUH) as saying the killing of a human being is the biggest sin and urged parents to take good care of their children so they cannot be "brainwashed".

It was not clear how many of Bangladesh's mosques, which are run by independent neighbourhood lay committees, would follow the instructions.

But a senior police official said local administrations, police and regional Islamic Foundation officials would "monitor" the sermons.

Foundation chief Shamim Mohammad Afzal told AFP that the sermon had been distributed to more than 300,000 mosques.

"It is not mandatory but we hope the imams will follow our sermon or take their inspiration from it," he said.

"Our core message is there is no place for terrorism in Islam. We want to make sure our children cannot be brainwashed to commit an act of terrorism."

Islamic parties, who have strongly denounced the cafe siege and a string of other recent attacks on minorities, have criticised the sermon regulation as "undesirable".

"Long before the Foundation issued its instructions, our clerics have been vocal against terrorism," said Mufti Faiz Ullah, secretary general of Islamic Oikya Jote, a faith-based party.

Last month, just ahead of the cafe attack, a pro-government council of clerics issued a fatwa against violent jihad, which was endorsed by more than 100,000 imams.

DUBAI: A suicide bomber blew himself up near the American consulate in Saudi Arabia's Red Sea city of Jeddah in the early hours of Monday, the interior ministry said.

Security officers became suspicious of a man near the parking lot of Dr Suleiman Faqeeh Hospital, which is directly across from the US diplomatic mission.

When they moved in to investigate “he blew himself up with a suicide belt inside the hospital parking” at around 2:15am (2315 GMT Sunday), the ministry said, adding that two security officers were lightly injured.

A picture carried by the Sabq online newspaper, which is close to authorities, appeared to show a large body part lying on the ground between a taxi and the open door of another car, peppered with shrapnel holes.

The blast happened shortly before the dawn prayers after which Muslims begin their daily fast during the holy month of Ramazan. Saudi state news channel Al-Ekhbaria said there was a mosque nearby.

The incident occurred on July 4, which is the American Independence Day holiday.

Investigators are trying to identify the culprit, the interior ministry added.

Most of the consulate's staff had reportedly moved offices to a new location.

In Washington, a State Department spokesman, who declined to be named, said: “We are aware of reports of an explosion in Jeddah and working with Saudi authorities to collect more information. “We can confirm that all personnel under chief-of-mission authority are accounted for at this time.”

A 2004 Al Qaeda-linked militant attack on the US consulate in Jeddah killed five locally hired consular employees and four gunmen.

The three-hour battle on the heavily guarded compound came amid a wave of Al Qaeda attacks targeting Westerners and Saudi security posts.

More recently, Saudi Arabia has been a target of the militant Islamic State (IS) group attacks that have killed dozens of people. The extremist group views the Western-allied Saudi monarchy and government as heretics.

Saudi Arabia is part of the US-led coalition fighting IS in Iraq and Syria.

In June, the Interior Ministry reported 26 terror attacks had taken place in the kingdom in the last two years. Local affiliates of IS have targeted minority Shias and security officials.

The US Embassy in Riyadh regularly issues advisory messages for US citizens in Saudi Arabia. On Sunday, the embassy issued a message reminding anyone taking part in religious rituals or other public events to be aware of their surroundings. The message urged Americans to “remain aware of their surroundings, and take extra precautions when travelling throughout the country”.

It also advised citizens to "carefully consider the risks of traveling to Saudi Arabia".

NEW DELHI: India has slipped to 75th place in terms of money held by its citizens in Switzerland’s banks, while the United Kingdom remains on top.

India was placed at the 61st place last year. It used to be among top 50 countries in terms of holdings in Swiss banks till 2007.

The country was ranked highest, at the 37th place, in 2004.

As per the latest annual update on Swiss banks, released by Switzerland’s central bank (Swiss National Bank), the total money held there by foreign clients fell by nearly 4 per cent to Swiss franc (CHF) 1.42 trillion at the end of 2015.


With 1.5bn Swiss francs, Pakistan placed at 69th place


In terms of individual countries, the UK accounted for the largest chunk, at about CHF 350 billion or almost 25pc of the total foreign money with Swiss banks. The US came second with nearly CHF 196bn or about 14pc.

No other country accounted for a double-digit percentage share, while others in the top ten included West Indies, Germany, Bahamas, France, Luxembourg, Hong Kong and Panama.

India was ranked 75th with CHF 1.2bn, which is not even 0.1pc of the total foreign money parked in Swiss banks and is the lowest for the country in at least two decades or since 1996 — the first year for which full comparable data is available.

Pakistan was placed higher, at the 69th place, with CHF 1.5bn — a shade better than 0.1pc of total foreign money parked in Swiss banks.

India was also lowest ranked among the BRICS nations — Russia was ranked 17th (CHF 17.6bn), China 28th (CHF 7.4bn), Brazil 37th (CHF 4.8bn) and South Africa 60th (CHF 2.2bn).

Other countries that ranked higher than India included Mauritius, Kazakhstan, Iran, Chile, Angola, Philippines, Indonesia and Mexico, while a number of so-called tax havens were also placed above, including Jersey, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Marshall Islands, Bermuda, Belize, Gibraltar, Isle of Man, Seychelles and St Vincent and the Grenadines.

All offshore financial centres together held CHF 378bn in Swiss banks. The total for developing countries stood at CHF 207bn, while the same for the developed countries was much higher.

India was ranked in top 50 countries between 1996 and 2007, but started declining after that — 55th in 2008, 59th in 2009 and 2010 each, 55th again in 2011, 71st in 2012 and then 58th in 2013.

By arrangement with the Times of India

Published in Dawn, July 4th, 2016

MOSCOW: Russia has called for a 72-hour regime of silence in Eastern Ghouta and Daraya from Tuesday amid deadlocked efforts to turn a cessation of hostilities into a lasting peace in the war-torn country.

“In order to stabilise the situation the Russian reconciliation centre is calling for a 72-hour regime of silence in Eastern Ghouta and Daraya” from Tuesday, the head of the Russian coordination centre in Syria, Sergei Kuralenko, was quoted as saying by the defence ministry late Monday.

Kuralenko reiterated Moscow's call for 'moderate rebels' to withdraw from areas controlled by the Al-Nusra Front and break ranks with the militants, saying Russia would keep targeting the militants.

Citing data from Russian monitors and Syrian intelligence, Kuralenko said that Al-Nusra Front militants and rebels in Eastern Ghouta and suburbs of Damascus had regrouped and re-armed and were now preparing for an offensive.

“These conclusions and estimates have been confirmed by non-stop fire on Syrian armed forces in Eastern Ghouta and living quarters in Damascus, “Kuralenko was quoted as saying.

In the vicinity of Aleppo, Al-Nusra Front leaders were putting together a major attack force numbering some 6,000 fighters in order to blockade government forces in the city, among other goals, he said.

The call from Russia came as Washington on Monday urged Moscow to press Syria to stop bombing opposition forces and civilians in Aleppo and the Damascus suburb.

The United States and Russia are co-partners in the so-called Vienna diplomatic process of the International Support Group for Syria, which met last week in the Austrian capital but made no notable progress.

The 20 world and regional powers taking part in the process have so far failed to turn a fragile cessation of hostilities in Syria, in effect since February 27, into a durable truce between the government and militant groups.

Last week Moscow proposed that Russia and the United States launch joint air strikes against Al-Nusra Front militants in Syria but Washington rejected the proposal.

Published on DAWN on 24-May-2016

NEW DELHI: An Indian woman who gave birth at the age of 70 said yesterday she was not too old to become a first-time mother, adding that her life was now complete. Daljinder Kaur gave birth last month to a boy following two years of IVF treatment at a fertility clinic in the northern state of Haryana with her 79-year-old husband.

Kaur said the couple, married for 46 years, had almost lost hope of ever having a child and had faced ridicule in a country where infertility is sometimes seen as a curse from God. “God heard our prayers. My life feels complete now. I am looking after the baby all by myself, I feel so full of energy. My husband is also very caring and helps me as much as he can,” Kaur told AFP from the northern city of Amritsar.

“When we saw the (IVF) advert, we thought we should also give it a try as I badly wanted to have a baby of my own,” she said. Kaur put her age at about 70, a common scenario in India where many people don’t have birth certificates, while the clinic said in a statement that she was 72.

The baby was conceived using the couple’s own egg and sperm and was now “healthy and hearty” after weighing just two kilograms (4.4 pounds) at birth on April 19, the National Fertility and Test Tube centre said. Kaur’s husband, Mohinder Singh Gill, who owns a farm outside Amritsar, said he was unfazed about their age, saying God would watch over their child whom they named Armaan.

“People say what will happen to the child once we die. But I have full faith in God. God is omnipotent and omnipresent, he will take care of everything,” he told AFP.

Anurag Bishnoi, who runs the fertility clinic, said he was initially skeptical about going ahead with in vitro fertilisation (IVF), but tests showed Kaur was able to carry the unborn baby. “I first tried to avoid the case because she looked very frail. Then we made her undergo all the tests and once all the results were okay we went ahead,” the doctor said. The case is not the first in India, with a 72-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh state reportedly giving birth to twins in 2008, also through IVF. – AFP

 

Our pick of the strange but true stories from around the world.

Human-looking goat undergoes tests

The carcass of a baby goat that "looks human" has been handed over to officials in Malaysia. The baby goat belonged to farmer Ibrahim Basir, who has refused offers to buy the body. Veterinary officials say it will take two to four weeks to examine the creature and investigate "the possibility that the mother goat was violated by a human", leading to the birth of a human-goat hybrid…

Punched for 'looking like Shia LaBeouf'

A man who was assaulted by a stranger at a railway station has told reporters he was punched because he looked "exactly like Shia LaBeouf". Marco Licato, of New York, said: "I wanna know what Shia LaBeouf did to him... Did he steal his girlfriend?" Police are investigating the attack.

Man burns down shed to kill bees

A man attempting to deal with an unwanted beehive has accidentally burnt down his own shed. The Connecticut man is believed to have poured a mixture of petrol and oil over the

Source: http://www.msn.com/en-ae/news/offbeat/baby-goat-born-with-a-human-face-in-malaysia/ar-BBsnBVM?ocid=spartandhp

login with social account

5.png

Images of Kids

Events Gallery

Currency Rate

/images/banners/muzainirate.jpg

 

As of Mon, 22 Jan 2018 15:29:31 GMT

1000 PKR = 2.727 KWD
1 KWD = 366.744 PKR

Al Muzaini Exchange Company

Go to top